This is a lovely winter warmer, again not entirely syn free but packed full of super free vegetables and speed foods. The picture doesn’t do it justice at all, it makes it look like a greasy fry up which this meal is far from. We had this a few weeks ago but I have been struggling to get online to post over the last week so here we go.
MARKS OUT OF TEN FROM LUKE = 8.5
SUPER FREE FOODS = 5
SPEED FOODS = 5
SYNS ON EXTRA EASY= 1syn per sausage*
- 2 sausage per person
– tin tomatoes
– 3 large potatoes
-veg (we used; onion, peppers, carrots, celery, grated parsnips)
-tin of baked beans
-grill the sausages and once cooked place at the bottom of your casserole dish
– on a low heat fry the veg until tender
– add the tin tomatoes and beans to the veg and then season to your taste. (we used a tiny bit of salt and pepper but you could add chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco which are all syn free)
– pour the mixture on top of the sausages
– finely slice the potatoes and boil for five minutes
– cover the casserole with a layer of the potatoes and spray with spray light so it goes crispy on top.
The syn value of this meal depends entirely on your choice of sausages, we have found Tescos light choices sausages to be 1 syn each, lower than Quorn sausages! Have a good shop around, you might decide you want a nicer sausage and are willing to use the extra syns for it.
Although grilling the sausages wont reduce the syn value of the sausage it will stop your casserole getting to greasy by purging the sausages of some of their fat before you add them to the casserole. (remember if you fry them in oil this will increase the syn/calorie value)
* Although I make every effort to correctly work out syns values, please be aware that syn values may vary depending where you buy certain items and that being human I do make mistakes. If using my recipes please double check the syn value for yourself, I would hate a mistake to sabotage anyone’s weight loss.