When we started slimming world our leader made me promise that I would cook Luke some of his favourite meals, so last night I tried.
Marks out of 10 from Luke = 9 for flavour overall score a bit lower because my rice went a bit wrong but I will explain how to get it right in the instructions.
for the salmon:
1 Salmon fillet per person (skin removed)
Dry Cajun spice mix (I used Bart’s Spice)
1/2 a lemon
1. sprinkle the salmon with the Cajun spices and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours
2. take the salmon out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature
3. heat a frying pan with a little fry light
4. cook the salmon in the pan it should take about 10minutes
5. just before you take the salmon from the pan squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the salmon.
for the rice (adapted from this months slimming world magazine):
300g of basmati rice (I used easy cook which is where it all went wrong)
600ml veg stock
200ml light coconut milk
2 onions (finely chopped)
3 spring onions (finely chopped)
1cm of ginger (grated)
can of kidney beans
handful of chopped thyme
Chopped chilies to your taste (big green ones deseeded will be quite mild but if you want some authentic flavour use a scotch bonnet – take the seeds out you want the flavour not the heat)
1.slowly cook (low heat) the onion and spring onion in spray light for about 10 minutes (you want them soft but not brown)
2. add the rice and grated ginger and cook for a minute
3. add the coconut milk and stock turn up the heat a little and bring to the boil
4. add the kidney beans and the thyme bring back to the boil
5. turn down the heat, cover and cook for 15/20 mins until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
6. take the pan off the heat and leave to stand for 15minutes.
Serve your Skinny rice and peas with veg or salad, we had broccoli, mixed frozen veg and corn on cob.
Trust me it doesn’t taste at all like slimming food, I love slimming world and being able to eat like this guilt free. YUM
Let me know how you get on with the meal and any tips you have for getting your rice and peas perfect!
* Although I make every effort to correctly work out syns values, please be aware that syn values may vary depending where you buy certain items and that being human I do make mistakes. If using my recipes please double check the syn value for yourself, I would hate a mistake to sabotage anyone’s weight loss.