Since I have been dieting the three things I have really craved are lasange, cottage pie and a really cheesy pasta bake. Although I have cooked all of these some how they just haven’t hit the spot, that is until I made this Shepherd’s Pie.
My normal Shepherds pie has a lot less veg than this in it but apparently shepherd’s pie was invented to feed lots of people with a small amount of meat so maybe this recipe is more authentic than my usual mince heavy version.
Marks out of ten from Luke = 9
super free foods = 5
speed foods = 7
syns on extra easy= 0 + HEX A*
Skinny Roast Lamb Dinner.
– left over roast lamb, lean meat only. (I used meant left over from sunday’s roast that you can see here.
– a handful of Quorn mince
– 1 tin of tomatoes
– 4 chopped carrots
– 2 chopped parsnips
– 2 handfuls of diced swede
– 1 onion diced
– 1 litre stock
– 2 handfuls of frozen peas
– three potatoes, diced, boiled and mashed
– 50g of reduced fat soft cheese
– rosemary, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper
Fry (in fry light) the onion garlic and herbs, allow them to go slightly brown. Add half the carrots and swede and all of the parsnips to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mince, stock and tin tomatoes, cook until it has reduced slightly. Finally stir in the Quorn and peas and cook for another ten minutes. Meanwhile boil the remaining carrot and swede in salted water then mash and season with black pepper. Add the soft cheese to the mashed potatoes. Put the meat filling in an oven proof dish and top with stripes of potato mash and carrot and swede mash, this keeps the carbohydrates down and increases your super free veg intake. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 180 degrees C and enjoy.
Cook in individual oven dishes and share the mash exactly to ensure that each person gets the correct share of their HEX A soft cheese portion.
* Although I make every effort to correctly work out syns values, please be aware that syn values may vary depending where you buy certain items and that being human I do make mistakes. If using my recipes please double check the syn value for yourself, I would hate a mistake to sabotage anyone’s weight loss.