This is a Chinese starter that I have tweaked into a great slimming world main meal. The take away version is usually made with pork mince and served with lettuce leaves that you use to wrap the mixture in and eat like tiny wraps. To give this meal more substance I used steamed cabbage leaves for the wrappers and power packed my yuk sung with mountains of super free veg. Luke has taken the extra to work (this time with lettuce leaves). It’s another naturally carb free meal but still super filling and tasty.
We ate really late last night so the quality of the pictures is a bit crap, sorry.
Marks out of ten from Luke = 10
super free foods = 8
speed foods = 9
syns on extra easy= 0*
Turkey Yuk Sung, Slimming World Style.
– lean turkey mince (less than 4%fat)
– 2 onions
– finely diced veg ( we used, carrots, celery, peppers, swede, frozen peas, cabbage, you can use whatever you have in the house just make sure you put enough in for it to make up 1/3 of your meal)
– 1 tin of tomatoes
– star anise berries, ginger, garlic, Chinese five spice, black pepper, soy sauce
– whole cabbage leaves – steamed until soft but still firm enough to not fall apart
-dry fry the mince, onions, garlic and ginger until the meat is sealed and the garlic and ginger is fragrant.
– add the chopped vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
– season with soy sauce
– add the tinned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes
– add the dry spices to your taste, I use three star anise berries and about 2 teaspoons of all spice with a pinch of black pepper.
– turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes
– check that all the veg are cooked through and serve with the steamed cabbage leaves, if the veg need longer simmer for another ten minutes
Don’t cover your frying pan when you are simmering the mixture you want some of the liquid to evaporate so that the final mixture is quite dry and doesn’t leak out of your wrap and down your fingers.
* Although I make every effort to correctly work out syns values, please be aware that syn values may vary depending where you buy certain items and that being human I do make mistakes. If using my recipes please double check the syn value for yourself, I would hate a mistake to sabotage anyone’s weight loss.