I really love mackerel and these were particularly nice specimens from the Harborne Farmers Market. Knowing that Luke’s not a massive fan I had to do something really special with these to ensure that they didn’t go to waste. This dish is so fast and so tasty, Luke loved it so much he requested that we had it again this week and we will. Most of my recipes are syn free but this one does have a few syns in it don’t be tempted to miss them out they honestly make the dish- just make sure you double check your syn values and allowance for the day so you can enjoy guilt free.
Marks out of ten from Luke = 10
super free foods = 4
speed foods = 4
syns on extra easy= 3*
Pan Fried Mackerel with Stir Fried Veg.
Ingredients (serves 2)
– 2 Mackerel butterflied or filleted (your choice depending on the size of your pan)
– 1 beaten egg, seasoned
– enough smash to coat the mackerel
-finely sliced veg, enough to make up 1/3 of your meal (we used cabbage, onion, peppers, carrot and peas)
-toasted sesame oil 1tbsp
– serve with either; quinoa, cous cous, or bulgar wheat (we used a mix of bulgar wheat and quinoa)
-dip the mackerel fillets into the egg and then coat with the smash
– in a very hot frying pan fry the mackerel fillets on both sides for 2 minutes each (use fry light not oil)
– put the fillets in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 to cook through
– again using fry light, stir-fry your veg.
– place veg and quinoa onto your plate and dribble over 1/2 tbsp of toasted sesame oil.
– top with the mackerel fillets.
Don’t use sesame oil for frying, it has a really low smoking point which means it burns easily and in traditional oriental cooking it is only added as a flavoring after cooking. Also make sure you get the toasted version, sesame oil is cheaper but doesn’t have the taste you want.
* Although I make every effort to correctly work out syns values, please be aware that syn values may vary depending where you buy certain items and that being human I do make mistakes. If using my recipes please double check the syn value for yourself, I would hate a mistake to sabotage anyone’s weight loss.